Please Note: CAPIS to Hold its February Research Briefing on Feb 17th with Fairlead Strategies’ Katie Stockton. Register here
Overnight Summary: Stocks are higher around the globe and in the U.S. S&P 500 futures are up 38.50 points or 0.85% as of 8:30 a.m. Could this be a peak in rebound in front of tomorrow’s CPI?
Earnings Out After The Close:
- Beats: HUBG +1.05, VOYA +0.40, INSP +0.37, XPO +0.36, CMG +0.29, CNO +0.27, OMC +0.24, AIZ +0.18, SCSC +0.18, JKHY +0.18, DOCS +0.17, STE +0.16, FMC +0.15, ENPH +0.14, QGEN +0.14, FLT +0.13, CCK +0.12, ONTO +0.12, CRSR +0.10, HIW +0.08, AZTA +0.08, STEP +0.07, GFS +0.07, MODN +0.07, NCR +0.06, APPS +0.06, EGP +0.04, PAYC +0.03, MNDT +0.03, VVV +0.03, ATO +0.01, LYFT +0.01.
- Flat: ESE +0.00, PEAK +0.00, UDR +0.00.
- Misses: ATGE (0.21), YUMC (0.20), LBRT (0.14), DCPH (0.11), CMP (0.09), VREX (0.03), QNST (0.02), DEI (0.01), ICHR (0.01), NEWR (0.01).
- IPOs Priced or News:
- Bausch Health (BHC)’s Solta Medical unit Files Registration Statement for Proposed Initial Public Offering.
- ACLX: Closing of Initial Public Offering and Exercise in Full of the Underwriters’ Option to Purchase Additional Shares.
- New SPACs launched/News:
- Silver Spike Investment Corp. (SSIC) Announces Closing of Initial Public Offering.
- CITIC Capital Acquisition Corp (CCAC) and Quanergy Systems announces closing of business combination.
- Secondaries Priced:
- BWMN priced Secondary @ 16.00 1.05 million shares.
- ZSAN: Proposed Public Offering of Common Stock and Warrants — Maxim bookmanager — Priced @$0.30.
- Society Pass (SOPA) Announces Pricing of US$10 Million Underwritten Public Offering.
- Notes Priced of note: None of note.
- Common Stock filings/Notes:
- Zosano Pharma (ZSAN) Announces Pricing of $15.4 Million Public Offering of Common Stock and Warrants.
- Pricing of Over-Allotment: None of note.
- Direct Offering: None of note.
- Selling Shareholders of note:
- Incyte (INCY) files for 33,433,028 share common stock offering by selling shareholders.
- Private Placement of Public Entity (PIPE): None of note.
- Mixed Shelf Offerings:
- CMI: Filed Form S-3ASR Mixed Shelf Offering.
- MAS: Filed Form S-3ASR.. Mixed Shelf Offering.
- Convertible Offering & Notes Filed:
- NWS: Pricing of Private Offering of $500 Million Senior Notes Due 2032.
- SNAP: Pricing of Upsized $1.3 Billion Convertible Senior Notes Offering Due 2028.
Capital Raise Summary From The TradeXchange, bringing traders and investors real time news and Squawk Box, and other sources.
News After The Close:
- After Hours:
- Trading Up: ENPH +15%, NCR +9%, DOCS +8%, SCSC +8%, PAYC +7%, CMG +6%, SEDG +6%, CNO +5%, OMC +5%, XPO +5%, IIIV +4%, JKHY +4%, RUN +4%.
- Trading Down: NEWR -22%, TCS -21%, ATGE -18%, QNST -13%, VREX -12%, USNA -7%, ICHR -6%, CMP -6%, CRSR -5%, LYFT -4%, DCPH -4%, ARGO -4%.
- News After The Close:
- Stocks making the biggest moves after hours: CMG, LYFT, ENPH, XPO (CNBC)
- Chipotle (CMG) shares rise on better-than-expected earnings, CEO says chain is ‘fortunate’ it can raise prices. (CNBC)
- Pfizer (PFE) expects a record $100 billion in revenue this year, thanks to COVID vaccines and treatments. (MarketWatch)
- Biden mentions Tesla (TSLA) after Musk’s complaints of snub. (MarketWatch)
- Lyft (LYFT) posts revenue beat but falls short on riders. (CNBC)
- House Passes Stopgap Measure Funding Government Through Mid-March. (WSJ)
- Justice Department Says It Seized $3.6 Billion Worth of Bitcoin Stolen in 2016 Hack. (WSJ)
- Assets Under Management: CNS $102.1 billion, .
- Exchange/Listing/Company Reorg and Personnel News:
- Delisting of Securities of China XD Plastics Company Limited and Advaxis, Inc. from The Nasdaq Stock Market.
- Airgain (AIRG) Announces CFO Transition Plan.
- Fidelity Nat’l Info (FIS) announces the promotion of Stephanie Ferris to company President.
- Alan Boeckmann to Retire as Executive Chairman of Fluor (FLR).
- Kroger (KR) Announces Leadership Changes.
- Mainz Biomed (MYNZ) Appoints Oncology Expert Dr. Rainer Metzger to Strategic Advisory Board.
- Sundial (SNDL) Granted a 180-Day Extension by Nasdaq to Regain Compliance with Minimum Bid Rule.
- UMH Properties (UMH) shares approved for dual listing on Tel Aviv Stock Exchange
- Buyback Announcements:
- FMC Authorizes New $1 billion Share Repurchase Program.
- CMG: “During the quarter, our Board of Directors approved the investment of up to an additional $200.0 million, exclusive of commissions, to repurchase shares of our common stock, subject to market conditions. Including this repurchase authorization, $240.9 million was available as of December 31, 2021. The repurchase authorization may be modified, suspended, or discontinued at any time. We repurchased $168.9 million of stock at an average price per share of $1,750 during the fourth quarter.”
- BMY: Enters into a $5 billion accelerated repurchase plan.
- Stock Splits: None of note.
- Dividends Announcements:
- Atmos Energy (ATO) increases annual dividend to $2.72 per share.
- 3M (MMM) increases quarterly dividend to $1.49 per share.
- Primerica, Inc. (PRI) Increases Quarterly Dividend by 17 Percent to $0.55 per share..
What’s Happening This Morning: Futures value reflects the change with fair value.
S&P 500 +39, Dow Jones +229, NASDAQ +188 and Russell 2000 +16. Asia higher and Europe higher. VIX Futures are at 21.65 from 23.70 yesterday morning. Gold lower with Silver and Copper higher. WTI Crude Oil and Brent Oil Futures lower. Natural Gas is lower. $ is lower vs Euro, lower vs Pound and lower vs Yen. US 10 year Treasury with yields at 1.932% from 1.943%. Bitcoin is at $44,172 from $43,364 up +0/48%. As of 8:13 a.m. EST
Monday’s Action – 02/08/22 Close:
- Daily Positive Sectors: Consumer Cyclical, Basic Materials, Technology, Industrials, Financial of note.
- Daily Negative Sectors: Energy, Real Estate of note.
- One Month Winners: Energy and Financial of note.
- Three Month Winners: Energy, Consumer Defensive and Utilities of note.
- Six Month Winners: Energy, Financial, and Consumer Defensive of note.
- Twelve Month Winners: Energy, Real Estate, and Financials of note.
- Year to Date Winners: Energy and Financial of note.
Markets moved gradually higher on lower volume on the NYSE and NASDAQ. Russell 2000 was up 1.63%. TLT is now down 2.83% in the last 4 trading sessions. TLT closed at $138.17. Updated 02/08/22 close.
Upcoming Earnings Of Note: (sorted by market cap, highest to lowest with most visible names)
- Wednesday After the Close: DIS, PEP, UBER, ORLY, MFC, MSI, IFF, SLF, TWLO, EFX, SGEN, MGM, ACGL, MOH, GFL, LUMN, NLY, RE, AFG, REXR, CDAY, ZNGA, ITT, FR, EQT, PAA, EEFT, MAT, NVST, COHR, MDU, ASGN, WTS, RPD, CHX, BKH, SPSC, DIOD, MC, CPA, ENS, EQC, FLNC, AEIS, RAMP, FWRD, ULCC, EPAY, VMEO, UDMY, KN, TWO, PI, IRBT, TTMI, CXW, TWOU of note.
- Thursday Before the Open: KO, AZN, PM, DUK, MCO, GPN, DDOG, TU, MT, LH, ZBRA, PCG, MLM, DTE, K, ALNY, KIM, IPG, WSO, TPR, FAF, HII, LECO, WEX, CIGI, SON, ROLL, HRI, GOOS, MAC, SSTK, NSIT, GPI, LCII, PIPR, DCBO, TTGT, PTEN, MD, PATK, CAMT, BTU, DBD, ECOM, PDS, TUFN of note.
Earnings of Note This Morning:
- Beats: LAD +1.33, BG +0.62, CRTO +0.35, PAG +0.26, CDW +0.15, BXMT +0.14, CVS +0.10, FOXA +0.09, PFGC +0.09, CHEF +0.07, IIVI +0.06, BDC +0.06, CCJ +0.05, TEVA +0.04, CGC +0.04, SITC +0.03, REYN +0.02, CME +0.02, ARCC +0.02, TGI +0.01.
- Flat: RDWR +0.00.
- Misses: MSGE (1.10), AVYA (0.27), HCSG (0.11), YUM (0.07), TRMB (0.01).
- Still to Report: NNN.
- Positive Guidance: GFS, DOCS, PAYC, ENPH, ONTO, INSP, JKHY, APPS, SCSC, XPO, HUBG, FLT, CCK, STE, PERI, PFGC, LAUR.
- Negative Guidance: NEWR, NCR, MNDT, ATGE, QNST, LYFT, BG, IIVI, TRMB, TEVA, AVYA, CRTO, BDC.
Erlanger Research Advance/Decline Chart: Updated through 02/08/22 close.
Gap Ups & Down In Early Pre-Market:
- Gap Up: ENPH +19%, NCR +11%, DOCS +10%, SCSC +9%, SEDG +9%, PAYC +8%, PERI +7%, HUBG +7%, RUN +7%, CMG +6%, XPEV +5%, CNO +5%, FSLR +5%, GFS +5%, OMC +5%, QGEN +4%.
- Gap Down: TCS -26%, NEWR -24%, ATGE -18%, QNST -17%, ARGO -15%, VREX -10%, CMP -8%, LBRT -7%, USNA -7%, ICHR -6%, BIG -5%, LYFT -4%, YUMC -4%.
Insider Action: AKTS, PYPL sees Insider buying with dumb short selling. RCKT sees Insider buying with smart short sellers. 02/08/22 close.
Rags & Mags: Repeated stories from prior days never listed, i.e. “rehashed news”.
- Stocks Making The Biggest Moves: PTON, CMG, REYN, LYFT, NKLA. (CNBC)
- 5 Things To Know To Start Your Day. (Bloomberg)
- Covid cases fall to 353,406 cases from 678,874. Hospitalizations at 105,449 from 129,637.
- Covid cases at 73,625 from 102,997 with hospitalizations at 104,902 from 126,699. Tuesdays see a partial release as many states do not report weekend data.(CDC)
- NIH Head Dr. Fauci notes that the U.S. is moving out of a full blown pandemic over the next several months.
- Illinois to end mask mandate in public places on March 1st. State will appeal ruling against mask mandate on a school level. (ABC News)
- New York and Oregon to end mask mandates but remains unclear about schools. (NYT)
- Protestors on the Canadian border are blocking a key bridge used for movement of auto supply chain. (Bloomberg)
- House Speaker Pelosi is now in favor of banning stock trading on Capitol Hill. (The Hill)
- 100 million Americans can bet legally on the Superbowl. (Bloomberg)
- Robinhood Snacks looks at rumors that Peloton (PTON) gets a bid from Amazon (AMZN) or Nike (NKE). Then looks at President Biden’s threat to not allow the building of the Nord Stream 2 into Germany.
Moving Average Update:
- The score jumps to 63% from 30%. Updated 02/08/22 close.
- President’s Public Schedule:
- The President receives the President’s Daily Brief, 9:30 a.m. EST
- Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team and public health officials, 11:00 a.m. EST
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jen Psaki, 12:30 p.m. EST
- The President participates in a roundtable with CEOs of electric utilities to discuss his Build Back Better agenda; The Secretary of Energy also attends, 2:30 p.m. EST
- MBA Mortgage Applications 7:00 a.m. EST
- Wholesale Inventories 10:00 a.m. EST
- EIA Petroleum Report 10:30 a.m. EST
- The latest NYSE/NASDAQ Short Interest is due out after the close for the period of January 12th through January 27th the S&P 500 was lower by -5.87%.
Federal Reserve Speakers:
- Federal Research Board of Governors Michelle Bowman 10:30 a.m. EST
- Federal Reserve Cleveland President Loretta Mester 12:00 p.m. EST.
- Doximity (DOCS) has acquired Amion.
Meeting & Conferences of Note:
- Sellside Conferences:
- Baird Private Company Technology & Services Conference
- Canaccord Carbon & Energy Transition Conference
- Guggenheim Healthcare Talks Oncology Virtual Conference 2022 (02/09/22-02/10/22)
- Morgan Stanley Virtual Education Conference 2022
- Previously Announced Conferences:
- Cowen Aerospace, Defense & Industrials 43rd Annual Conference 2022 (02/08/22-02/10/22)
- Stifel Transportation and Logistics Conference 2022 (02/08/22-02/09/22)
- Company Meetings: EQNR.
- Fireside Chat: None of note.
- Investor/Analyst Day/Calls: APTX, AVRO , RICK.
- Update: None of note.
- R&D Day: None of note.
- Company Event:
- BlackBerry (BB) Monthly Threat Intelligence Series MALWARE LIVE.
- Industry Meetings:
- American Heart Association International Stroke Conference (02/09/22-02/11/22)
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
- 121 Mining Investment Online EMEA 2022 (02/08/22-02/10/22)
- 2nd Winter Wonderland Annual Best Ideas Virtual Conference 2022 (02/08/22-02/11/22)
- MicroCap Rodeo Best Ideas Buy-Side Winter Wonderland Conference 2022 (02/08/22-02/11/22)
- International Builders Show (IBS) 2022 (02/08/22-02/10/22)
- BiotechGate Digital Partnering 2022 (02/07/22-02/11/22)
- 18th Annual WORLD Symposium 2022 (02/07/22-02/11/22)
- Summit For Clinical Ops Executives (SCOPE) 2022 02/07/22-02/10/22)
- Otolaryngology (ARO) 45th Annual Mid-Winter Meeting 2022 (02/05/22-02/09/22)
Top Tier Sell-side Upgrades & Downgrades:
The recommendations listed below in this “Upgrade/Downgrade” section are compiled from what we believe are Tier I, II and III firms. Recommendations posted are taken from a variety of sources each day and we only post upgrades or significant initiations as well as downgrades to underweight or sell. The purpose of this posting it to make the reader aware of market moving recommendations. None of these recommendations should be interpreted as actual recommendations from CAPIS or its employees.
Today’s Upgrades and Downgrades:
Tuesday’s Upgrades and Downgrades: