Overnight Summary: The sun came out yesterday by the close due to a positive reaction to the FOMC announcement and press conference. Overseas markets are higher with China and Japan rising nicely. Europe is higher as well. The S&P 500 overnight range is 4680 to 4740. At 7:20 a.m. EST the S&P 500 is at 4733 up by 33 point or 0.71%.
Breaking News: The Bank of England raises rates for the first time since 2018. ECB unchanged.
Earnings Out After The Close:
- Beats: TCOM +0.73, HEI +0.04
- Flat: None
- Misses: LEN (0.24), NDSN (0.22)
- IPOs Priced or News:
- Immix Biopharma, Inc. (IMMX) Pricing of Initial Public Offering… 4.2 million shares at $5.
- Bionomics Limited (BNOX) Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering in the United States.
- New SPACs launched:
- Isos Acquisition Corp (ISOS) completes combination with Bowlero and will trade under symbol “BOWL” today.
- Founder SPAC (FOUN) to merge with Rubicon Technologies.
- Secondaries Priced:
- SNDX: Pricing of $75.3 Million Public Offering 3,157,144 shares @$17.50 .. GS Bookmanager.
- Notes Priced of note:
- SKLZ: Pricing of $300 Million of Senior Secured Notes.
- Common Stock filings/Notes:
- FOCS: Filed Form 424B5.. 3,204,448 Shares.
- LGVN: Filed Form S-1… 2,385,348 Shares Class A Common Stock.
- Pricing of Over-Allotment: None of note.
- Direct Offering: None of note.
- Selling Shareholders of note: None of note.
- Private Placement of Public Entity (PIPE):
- BLBD: Announces $75 million Private Placement.
- Mixed Shelf Offerings:
- HMST: Filed Form S-3ASR.. Mixed Shelf Offering.
- Convertible Offering & Notes Filed:
- TRIN: Closing of Public Offering of $75 million of its 4.25% Notes Due 2026.
- Danimer Scientific (DNMR) proposes offering of $175 million of convertible senior notes due 2026.
- Note Offerings Filed: None of note.
Capital Raise Summary From The TradeXchange, bringing traders and investors real time news and Squawk Box, and other sources.
News After The Close:
- After Hours:
- Trading Up: CALT +57%, VRCA +13%, APRN +7%, GEOV +4%, AFCG +4%
- Trading Down: IRNT -19%, SNDX -10%, BLBD -10%, LEN -4%
- News Items After The Close:
- Qantas Picks Airbus To Replace Boeing (BA) 737s In Domestic Fleet – Sees Order Finalized By End FY22.
- Apple (AAPL) delays corporate office return to “date yet to be determined”.
- FormFactor (FORM) opens new manufacturing facility to expand wafer probe card production.
- Reddit Files Confidentially for IPO. (Wall Street Journal)
- Assets Under Management for November: None of note.
- Exchange/Listing/Company Reorg and Personnel News:
- Aerie Pharma (AERI) announced Raj Kannan will join the company as CEO and a director, as of December 20, 2021.
- Dave & Buster’s (PLAY) names Michael Qartieri as CFO on January 1, 2022.
- Ethan Allen (ETD) names Matthew McNulty to CFO from Treasurer and VP of Finance.
- CIRCOR (CIR) Announces CFO Transition as Abhishek Khandelwal plans to step down to pursue another opportunity.
- Color Star Technology Co., Ltd. (CSCW) Announces CEO Handover to Lead Company into Technology Era.
- DATS terminates COO.
- Immuneering (IMRX) Added to the Nasdaq Biotechnology Index.
- LiveOne (LVO) Announces Chief Financial Officer Transition to replace Michael Quartieri to become CFO of Dave & Buster’s Entertainment (PLAY).
- Marathon Digital Holdings (MARA) announces planned Executive Chairman’s retirement and succession plan.
- Buyback Announcements:
- AutoZone (AZO) Authorizes Additional Stock Repurchase of $1.5 billion of common stock.
- Avanos Medical, Inc. (AVNS) Announces Share Repurchase Authorization up to $30 million.
- BayCom Corp (BCML) Announces Adoption of Stock Repurchase Program.
- Novartis (NVS) starts new $15 billion share buyback.
- Navidea Biopharmaceuticals (NAVB) terminates Stock Purchase Agreement.
- Retail Value Inc. (RVI) Special Common Share Distribution and Preferred Stock Repurchase.
- Synchrony (SYF) Announces $1 billion Increase in Share Repurchase Authority.
- Visa (V) new $12 billion share repurchase program.
- Stock Splits: None of note.
- Dividends Announcements:
- AFC Gamma (AFCG) increases quarterly dividend $0.07 to $0.50 per share.
- INDUS (INDT) Increases 2021 Fourth Quarter Dividend to $0.16 Per Share, a 6.7% Increase Over Prior Quarter.
- Sandstorm Gold (SAND) announces inaugural dividend of C$0.02 per share.
What’s Happening This Morning: Futures value reflects the change with fair value.
S&P 500 +30 Dow Jones Industrial Average +212 NASDAQ +103 Russell 2000 +31.49. Asia and Europe higher. VIX is at 21.56 from 20.90 yesterday. Gold, Silver and Copper higher. WTI Crude Oil and Brent Oil Futures higher. Natural Gas is higher. $ is lower vs Euro, lower vs Pound and higher vs Yen. US 10 year Treasury price is at $130.55 from $130.58 with yields at 1.474% from 1.448% yesterday morning. Bitcoin at $48,575 this morning and down -1.38%. As of 8:15 a.m. EST.
Tuesday’s Action – 12/15 Close:
- Daily Positive Sectors: Technology, Healthcare, Utilities, Real Estate, Communication Services, Consumer Defensive, Industrials, Consumer Cyclical of note.
- Daily Negative Sectors: none of note.
- One Month Winners: Utilities, Consumer Defensive of note.
- Three Month Winners: Energy, Technology, Utilities of note.
- Six Month Winners: Technology, Real Estate, Utilities of note.
- Twelve Month Winners: Energy, Financial, and Technology of note.
- Year to Date Winners: Energy, Technology, and Real Estate of note.
Indexes ignited on the news the Federal Reesearch will accelerate the pace of its tapering of bond purchases. Three hikes, ball is snapped and all indexes are running! Tech Bulls lead the charge with the Nasdaq up 2.15% and the Nasdaq 100 up 2.35%. TLT was down almost -1%. Updated 12/15 close.
Upcoming Earnings Of Note: (sorted by market cap, highest to lowest with most visible names)
- Thursday After the Close: FDX, SCS of note.
- Friday Before the Open: DRI, WGO of note.
Earnings of Note This Morning:
- Beats: WOR +0.26, ACN +0.15, JBL +0.12
- Flat: none
- Misses: none
- Still to Report: ADBE
Erlanger Research Advance/Decline Chart: Updated through 12/15 close.
Gap Ups & Down In Early Pre-Market:
- Gap Up: CALT +39%, VRCA +11%, APG +8%, MESO +8%, GOEV +6%, AFCG +5%, FREY +5%, PLUG +5%, APRN +5%, HEI +4%, NVS +4%
- Gap Down: IRNT -19%, SNDX -8%, DNMR -7%, LEN -7%, BLBD -6%, FOCS -4%
Insider Action: RVNC sees Insider buying with dumb short selling and no stock has smart short sellers with insider buys. 12/15 close
Rags & Mags: Highlighted Stories may be clicked through to the original story. Repeated stories from prior days never listed, i.e. “rehashed news”.
- Five Things To Know To Start Your Day. (Bloomberg)
- Stocks Making The Biggest Moves: DAL, ACN, REGN, LEN, V (CNBC)
- Five Things to Know This Morning. (CNBC)
- Covid Cases rise to 125,503 from 119,895 a week ago. Hospitalizations drop to 49,594 from 52,605.
- Omicron infects at a rate of 70 times faster than Delta but causes much lower disease. (Bloomberg)
- Turkish Central Bank cuts rates, sending lira to record low. (CNBC)
- The Bank of England (BOE) raised rates this morning. (WSJ)
- European Central Bank (ECB) leaves rates unchanged this morning, presser at 8:30 a.m. EST.
- Talks between Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV) and President Biden at standstill as Build Back Better likely stalled until next year. (CNN)
- SEC looking at new standards for money market funds. (WSJ)
- NFL reexamining COVID-19 protocols after sudden wave of positive cases in the last two weeks. (NFL)
- 100 NFL Players have tested positive with 66% having asymptomatic cases and the rest with very mild symptoms. (NFL)
- DigiTimes reports that Apple’s (AAPL) unit sales of the new iPhone 13 started slowing down in China during November when Apple’s share of China’s smartphone market fall below 20%. (DigiTimes)
- J.M. Smucker (SJM) sells natural beverages and grains business for $110 million.
- Regeneron (REGN) antibodies used against Delta do not work against Omicron. (CNBC)
- Delta Airlines (DAL) announces three year outlook and financial targets.
- American Airlines (AAL) and Southwest Airlines (LUV) CEOs say masks are not needed on planes. (CNN)
- Genuine Parts (GPC) buys Kaman Distribution from Littlejohn & Co for $1.3 billion in cash.
- Robinhood looks at the end of “easy money” by the Federal Reserve. Samsara (IOT) goes public at $11 billion valuation.
Moving Average Update:
- Score launches positive to 76% from 43%. Updated 12/15 close.
- President’s Public Schedule:
- The President receives the President’s Daily Brief, 9:30 a.m. EST
- The President awards the Medal of Honor to Sergeant First Class Alwyn C. Cashe, United States Army, Sergeant First Class Christopher A. Celiz, United States Army, and Master Sergeant Earl D. Plumlee, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry; The First Lady, The Vice President, and The Second Gentleman also attend, 1:30 p.m. EST
- The President and The Vice President meet with members of the White House COVID-19 Response Team on the latest developments related to the Omicron variant, 3:00 p.m. EST
- Press Briefing by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and Deputy National Climate Advisor Ali Zaidi, 3:15 p.m. EST
- Initial Jobless Claims 8:30 a.m. EST
- November Housing Starts is due out at 8:30 a.m. EST with an estimate of 1,570,00 against of 1,520,000.
- December Philadelphia Fed Index is due out at 8:30 a.m. EST with an estimate of 30 versus 39 in November.
- November Industrial Production is due out at 9:15 a.m. EST and is expected to fall to 0.8% from 1.6% last month.
- PMI Composite Flash 9:45 a.m. EST
- EIA Natural Gas Report 10:30 a.m. EST
Federal Reserve Speakers:
- Home BancShares, Inc. (HOMB) Announces Shareholder Approval in Connection with Happy Bancshares, Inc. Acquisition.
- Restaurant Brands International Inc. (QSR) Completes Acquisition of Firehouse Subs and Announces Increase in Borrowings Under Existing Term Loan A Facility.
- Stem, Inc. (STEM) to Acquire Also Energy Holdings, Inc., a Global Leader in Solar Asset Management Software for $695 million.
- Stantec (STN) to acquire Cox|McLain Environmental Consulting.
Meeting & Conferences of Note:
- Sellside Conferences:
- Bank of America Securities Hydrogen Conference 2021
- Lytham Partners Winter Investor Conference
- RBC Capital Markets Healthcare Private Company Conference
- Truist Atlanta Office & Apartment In Person Bus Tour
- Wells Fargo Tech In Transportation Forum 2021
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
- Jefferies Denver Healthcare Summit 2021 (12/15-12/16)
- Jefferies Real Estate Conference 2021 (12/15-12/16)
- Lytham Partners Winter 2021 Investor Conference (12/13-12/16)
- Company Meetings: None of note.
- Fireside Chat: GEVO, ASPN
- Investor/Analyst Day/Calls: ADBE, BABA, DAL, IPSC, MBIO, MSTR, QYOU, RSLS, SRRA, XFOR
- Update: NAVB
- R&D Day: IPSC, KYMR, RUBY, ZNTL
- Company Event: FFIV
- Industry Meetings:
- Life Sciences Virtual Investor Conference 2021
- National Cannabis Industry Association’s 3rd Annual CannaVest West Investor Forum 2021
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
Top Tier Sell-side Upgrades & Downgrades:
The recommendations listed below in this “Upgrade/Downgrade” section are compiled from what we believe are Tier I, II and III firms. Recommendations posted are taken from a variety of sources each day and we only post upgrades or significant initiations as well as downgrades to underweight or sell. The purpose of this posting it to make the reader aware of market moving recommendations. None of these recommendations should be interpreted as actual recommendations from CAPIS or its employees.
Today’s Upgrades and Downgrades:
Wednesday’s Upgrades and Downgrades: