Overnight Summary: The S&P 500 closed yesterday at 4259.52 from 4277.88 on Wednesday. The S&P 500 closed lower after Wednesday’s move higher. The low overnight was hit at 4222.50 at 10:40 p.m. EST. The current level is 4308.75 up 60.75 or 1.43% due to a pop at 6:25 a.m. EST on Putin’s comments that Ukraine talks have seen some progress.
Earnings Out After The Close:
- Beats: ULTA +0.85, CMTL +0.11, AOUT +0.06, LOCO +0.05, LZ +0.02.
- Flat: DOCU +0.00.
- Misses: RIVN (0.46), RRGB (0.42), AVO (0.23), ZUMZ (0.10), ORCL (0.05), BLNK (0.04), MLNK (0.03), WPM (0.02), SHLS (0.02), FIZZ (0.02).
- IPOs Priced or News: None of note.
- New SPACs launched/News: None of note.
- Secondaries Priced:
- Nubia Brand International Corp. (NUBIU) Announces Pricing of Upsized $110,000,000 Initial Public Offering.
- Inari Medical (NARI) Announces Pricing of Offering of Common Stock 2 million shares at $81.
- Sequans Communications S.A. (SQNS) Announces Pricing of Underwritten Public Offering of American Depositary Shares.. representing 26,666,668 ordinary shares, at a price of $3.00 per ADS.
- Notes Priced of note: None of note.
- Common Stock filings/Notes:
- Exela Technologies (XELA) Announces Successful Completion of Exchange Offer for Shares of Common Stock.
- SQNS: Launch of Public Offering of American Depositary Shares.. B.Riley bookmanager.
- MDWD: Closing of Public Offering of Ordinary Shares.
- Pricing of Over-Allotment: None of note.
- Direct Offering:
- Freeline (FRLN) Announces $26.1 Million Registered Direct Offering of American Depositary Shares.
- Happiness Development (HAPP) Announces $6.7 Million Registered Direct Offering To Support Its Auto Business.
- Selling Shareholders of note:
- IronNet (IRNT) files for 48,503,325 share common stock offering by selling shareholder.
- Private Placement of Public Entity (PIPE): None of note.
- Mixed Shelf Offerings:
- CCRN: Filed Form S-3.. 5,000,000 Common Stock.
- BKCC: Filed Form N-2.. $500,000,000 Mixed Shelf.
- GRTS: Filed Form S-3.. $250Million Mixed Security Shelf .
- Convertible Offering & Notes Filed:
- MPLX: prices $1.5 billion senior notes offering.
Capital Raise Summary From The TradeXchange, bringing traders and investors real time news and Squawk Box, and other sources.
News After The Close:
- After Hours:
- Trading Up: LAZY +20%, ALTO +15%, LOCO +6%, MAPS +4%.
- Trading Down: TLYS -21%, DOCU -17%, ZUMZ -16%, AVO -14%, RIVN -13%, AOUT -12%, SQNS -10%, SHLS -7%, ISPO -7%, BLNK -6%.
- News After The Close:
- Stocks making the biggest moves afterhours: RIVN, ORCL, DOCU, ULTA (CNBC)
- Rivian (RIVN) stock falls nearly 13% after EV maker loses more than $2 billion, trims production targets (MarketWatch)
- Oracle (ORCL) misses on earnings as investments drag down quarterly profit (CNBC)
- DocuSign (DOCU) stock has lost its pandemic gains, and is plunging again after weak forecast. (MarketWatch)
- North Korea is developing a new long-range missile system, U.S. official says (CNBC)
- US Treasury Secretary Yellen:
- Does not expect a recession in the U.S.
- The Ukraine war will have a further influence on us inflation.
- Likely to see inflation stay uncomfortably high in 2022 – does not want to make inflation prediction for H2 2022 .
- The sanctions have been devastating in their economic impact. U.S. has all but cut Russia off from the international financial system.
- Russian/Ukraine News:
- Moody’s Downgrades Belarus’s Ratings To Ca From B3; Maintains Negative Outlook.
- Ukrainian Parliament: Russian Forces Attacked Kharkiv Institute That Contains Experimental Nuclear Reactor – Neighbouring Hostel Is On Fire.
- Canada looking to boost oil pipeline flows to U.S. (Reuters)
- Assets Under Management Reporting: VCTR $176.0 billion.
- Exchange/Listing/Company Reorg and Personnel News:
- Barnes Group (B) Announces President and Chief Executive Officer Patrick J. Dempsey to Take a Temporary Leave of Absence.
- DIDI halting HK listing process.
- El Pollo Loco (LOCO) appoints Laurance “Larry” Roberts as CEO, effective immediately
- FedEx Express (FDX) President and CEO Donald F. Colleran to Retire December 31, 2022.
- KnowBe4 (KNBE) announces Bob Reich as its new Chief Financial Officer.
- Luxfer (LXFR) appoints Patrick Mullen as Board Chair.
- Peloton (PTON) announces Andrew Rendich as Chief Supply Chain Officer.
- WM Technology, Inc. (MAPS) Appoints Anthony Bay as New Chairman of Company’s Board of Directors.
- Buyback Announcements:
- CL New $5 Billion Share Repurchase Program.
- Dada (DADA) Announces up to US$70 Million Share Repurchase Program.
- DocuSign (DOCU) authorizes up to $200 million for share repurchases.
- Futu Holdings (FUTU) authorized a new share repurchase program.
- LegalZoom.com (LZ) authorizes $150 million for share repurchases.
- Ulta Beauty (ULTA) authorizes a new $2.0 billion share repurchase program.
- William Penn Bancorporation (WMPN) Announces Stock Repurchase Program.
- Applied Materials (AMAT) authorizes a $6 billion share repurchase.
- Stock Splits: None of note.
- Dividends Announcements:
- CL increases quarterly common stock cash dividend $0.02 to $0.47 per share.
- Douglas Elliman (DOUG) declares quarterly cash dividend of $0.05 per share.
- HollySys (HOLI) announces annual cash dividend of $0.32 per share.
- Luxfer (LXFR) increases quarterly cash dividend to $0.13 per share.
- Park Hotels & Resorts (PK) reinstates dividend.
- W.P. Carey (WPC) increases quarterly cash dividend to $1.057 per share.
- Applied Materials (AMAT) ups dividend by 8.3%.
What’s Happening This Morning: Futures value reflects the change with fair value.
S&P 500 +43, Dow Jones +294, NASDAQ +177, and Russell 2000 +28. Asia mixed and Europe higher. VIX Futures are at 33.05 from 31.85 yesterday morning. Gold and Silver lower with Copper flat. WTI Crude Oil and Brent Oil Futures higher. Natural Gas is higher. $ is lower vs Euro, lower vs Pound and higher vs Yen. US 10 year Treasury with yields at 2.01% from 1.983% from yesterday. Bitcoin is at $39,888 from $39,248.87 at +0.94%. As of 8:09 a.m. EST
Thursday’s Action – 03/10/22 Close:
- Daily Positive Sectors: Energy, Basic Materials, Utilities of note.
- Daily Negative Sectors: Technology, Communication Services, Consumer Defensive, Financial of note.
- One Month Winners: Energy, Utilities and Basic Materials of note.
- Three Month Winners: Energy, Utilities and Basic Materials of note.
- Six Month Winners: Energy, Basic Materials, Utilities of note.
- Twelve Month Winners: Energy, Utilities, and Real Estate of note.
- Year to Date Winners: Energy and Basic Materials of note.
Indexes ended off their lows, but still in negative territory for the third time this week. NDX was down 1.10%. TLT dropped 1.44% to 134.46. Natural Gas up 2.58% and Oil via the USO down 1.87%. Updated 03/10/22 close.
Upcoming Earnings Of Note: (sorted by market cap, highest to lowest with most visible names)
- Friday After the Close: BLDP of note.
- Monday Before the Open: none of note.
Earnings of Note This Morning:
- Beats: None of note.
- Flat: None of note.
- Misses: GENI (0.10), PLXP (0.02).
- Still to Report: LAC.
- Positive Guidance: PRGS, COCO, MLNK, HIPO, ORCL, GENI.
- Negative Guidance: MCO, LZ, ZUMZ, AOUT, DOCU, SHLS, TLYS.
Erlanger Research Advance/Decline Chart: Updated through 03/10/22 close.
Gap Ups & Down In Early Pre-Market:
- Gap Up: PSO +21%, LAZY +14%, ALTO +14%, FUTU +8%, LOCO +7%, ANGI +4%, GORO +4%.
- Gap Down: TLYS -25%, DOCU -18%, ZUMZ -14%, AVO -12%, RIVN -10%, AOUT -9%, CMTL -9%, SQNS -8%, LZ -7%, RRGB -6%, ISPO -5%, BLNK -5%, SHLS -5%.
Insider Action: LCII, LYV, COTY sees Insider buying with dumb short selling. AEO, LPLA, YEXT, KVHI sees Insider buying with smart short sellers. 03/10/22 close.
Rags & Mags: Repeated stories from prior days never listed, i.e. “rehashed news”. Sorted by Global, U.S. and stock specific.
- Stocks Making The Biggest Moves ORCL UBER PSO RIVN DOCU. (CNBC)
- Iran nuclear talks end after Russia demands sanctions need to be removed by U.S. (WSJ)
- Russia suspended from Bank of Settlements. (WSJ)
- The yield of the Ukraine wheat crop remains a great unknown. (Reuters)
- G-7 and U.S. to strip Russia of Most Favored Nation status. (Reuters)
- Russia bans export of 200 products. (Bloomberg)
- North Korea tested an ICBM. (Reuters)
- U.S. Senate passed $1.5 trillion omnibus bill with $13.6 billion in supplemental appropriations to address the crisis in Ukraine.
- Antitrust: European Commission opens investigation into possible anticompetitive conduct by Google (GOOG) and Meta (FB), in online display advertising. (EU Commission)
- Robinhood Snacks looks at Amazon (AMZN) stock split. Lululemon Athletica (LULU) move into footwear looked at.
Moving Average Update:
- Flat lined at 0….again. Updated 03/10/22 close.
- President’s Public Schedule:
- The President receives the President’s Daily Brief, 9:00 a.m. EST
- The President announces actions to continue to hold Russia accountable for its unprovoked and unjustified war on Ukraine, 10:15 a.m. EST
- The President departs the White House en route Joint Base Andrews en route Philadelphia International Airport, 10:40 a.m. EST
- The President arrives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 11:45 a.m. EST
- The President delivers remarks at the House Democratic Caucus Issues Conference, 12:15 p.m. EST
- The President tours an elementary school, highlighting the impacts and investments of the American Rescue Plan on its one-year anniversary, 2:10 p.m. EST
- The President departs Philadelphia, Pennsylvania en route Camp David, 3:50 p.m. EST
- March University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment (Preliminary)is due out at 10:00 a.m. EST and is expected to fall to 62.5 from 62.80.
- Quarterly Services 10:00 a.m. EST
- Baker Hughes Rig Count 1:00 p.m. EST
Federal Reserve Speakers:
- American Outdoor Brands (AOUT) announces acquisition of Grilla Grills for $27 million.
- Colliers (CIGI) unit acquires KFW Engineers & Surveying.
- CGI (GIB) enters into an agreement for the acquisition of Umanis, a leading data, digital and business solutions firm in France.
- MeridianLink (MLNK) Announces Agreement to Acquire StreetShares.
Meeting & Conferences of Note:
- Sellside Conferences:
- ROTH Capital Partners Investment Growth Stock 34th Annual Conference 2022 (03/13/22-03/15/22)
- UBS Digital Asset Day 2022
- Previously Announced Conferences:
- Company Meetings: AVGR.
- Fireside Chat: None of note.
- Investor/Analyst Day/Calls: AGL, SPNE, T.
- Update: None of note.
- R&D Day: CARA.
- Company Event: APH (with Atlantic Equities).
- Industry Meetings:
- 2022 South by Southwest (SXSW) Conference & Festivals. (03/11/22-03/20/22)
- National Auto Deals Association (NADA) Conference 2022 (03/11/22-03/13/22)
- Seafood Expo North America 2022 (03/13/22-03/15/22)
- Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Scientific and Clinical Conference 2022 (03/13/22-03/16/22)
- Previously Posted and Ongoing Conferences:
- Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) & Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) Annual Meeting 2022 (03/09/22-03/12/22)
- Festival of Biologics Conference 2022 (03/09/22-03/11/22)
- CERAWeek 2022 (03/06/22-03/11/22)
Top Tier Sell-side Upgrades & Downgrades:
The recommendations listed below in this “Upgrade/Downgrade” section are compiled from what we believe are Tier I, II and III firms. Recommendations posted are taken from a variety of sources each day and we only post upgrades or significant initiations as well as downgrades to underweight or sell. The purpose of this posting it to make the reader aware of market moving recommendations. None of these recommendations should be interpreted as actual recommendations from CAPIS or its employees.
Today’s Upgrades and Downgrades:
Thurday’s Upgrades and Downgrades: